Mount Sinai’s history dates back to the hospital’s inception in 1909 when members of the Jewish community recognized the need for a tuberculosis sanatorium. Before the discovery of antibiotics, it was accepted that fresh mountain air and pure water could facilitate the treatment of, and ultimately cure, tuberculosis. And so, Mount Sinai’s heritage began in Préfontaine near Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Québec, with a humble 12-bed facility.
The facilities eventually became outdated due to advances in treatments and an increase in the number of patients. To meet the growing need, an art deco building was built in the same area, housing 92 beds, and Mount Sinai expanded its mission to serve persons suffering from other types of respiratory diseases.
The threat of tuberculosis diminished greatly by the 1950s, and Mount Sinai became an intermediate care facility specializing in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases such as emphysema, bronchitis, asthma and other respiratory diseases. Mount Sinai subsequently moved to Montreal in 1990, into a state-of-the-art building to be closer to the population it served, with 107 beds, an out-patient department and a wide range of diagnostic and treatment services.
The hospital has been constantly adapting to meet the changing needs of the community, with upgraded facilities and equipment to provide the highest level of patient care.